Labor and Employment
Weintraub Tobin attorneys advise employers in every aspect of traditional employment and labor law, ranging from preventative employment counseling to all types of employment-based disputes and litigation.
Our attorneys provide counseling on issues such as hiring, disciplinary actions, terminations and layoffs, employment and severance contracts, covenants not to compete and employee handbooks. We assist with compliance regarding a variety of state and federal laws such as workers compensation, occupational safety and health, wage and hour, and anti-discrimination statutes such as Title VII, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), California's Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Because not all employment issues can be anticipated or resolved prior to litigation, we defend employers before a variety of local agencies, and federal and state courts. The group has had marked success in defending employers, often winning summary judgment or other pre-trial dismissal. The firm's trial record is equally distinguished. Where appropriate, we also represent employers in alternative dispute resolution forums, including mediation and arbitration.
Our team has extensive experience in the following related services:
- Employment policies and procedures
- Employment contracts and compensation plans
- Unfair competition and protection of trade secrets
- Regulatory compliance, audits, investigations and hearings
- Wage and hour audits and counseling
- Training on various workplace issues such as prevention of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation; workplace health and safety; administering statutory leaves of absence; and wage and hour obligations
- Successful representation of employers in employment-related litigation
- Workplace investigations re: charges of harassment, discrimination or retaliation; workplace violence; theft; whistleblowing; drug or alcohol abuse; disciplines and terminations; and violations of company policies