Upcoming Webinar: Independent Contractor v. Employee?
July 18, 2012
Summary of Program
If it Walks Like a Duck, Quacks Like a Duck, It's a Duck!
The risks involved in misclassifying a worker as an independent contractor rather than an employee have always been serious. A number of federal and state agencies regulate the proper classification of workers and have the authority to impose significant monetary and non-monetary sanctions against employers who get the classification wrong. However, due to a number of new laws and regulatory enforcement procedures that have gone into effect in the last year, it is now more important than ever that employers get the classification right.
This informative webinar will cover the legal landscape of independent contractor status. Topics will include:
- A summary of the various tests applied by federal and state agencies to determine independent contractor status;
- A summary of the enforcement authority of various federal and state agencies and the sanctions they may impose on employers;
- The due diligence employers must engage in before classifying a worker as an independent contractor;
- The federal Department of Labor’s new $25 million “Misclassification Initiative” designed to work closely with state agencies to investigate misclassifications and take enforcement action; and
- California’s new law imposing monetary and non-monetary sanctions against employers (and certain individuals) who willfully misclassify workers as independent contractors.
If you or your company is currently using independent contractors, this is a webinar you cannot afford to miss.
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
9:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. - WEBINAR
This informative session will take place via webinar only. Login details will provided approximately one week prior to the webinar.
There is no charge for this webinar.
Telephone: (916) 558.6046